Restrictions Imposed by the Federal Government to Contain the Spread of the Novel Coronavirus SARS-CoV2/ COVID 19
Chancellor Angela Merkel conducted a press confrence in the evening of March 22, 2020 to announce the Federal Government’s additional guidelines against the spread of COVID19. Following are the major points from Chancellor Merkel’s announcements:
1. Citizens are urged to reduce contact with other people outside of their own household to an absolutely necessary minimum.
2. Wherever possible, a minimum distance of at least 1.5 meters, or better still, 2 meters, must be observed in public between people who do not belong in the same household.
3. Spending time in public space is only allowed on your own, or with only one other person belonging in a separate household, or with members of your own household.
4. It is still possible to go to work, go to emergency care, do shopping, visit the doctor, participate in meetings, necessary appointments and exams, help others or play individual sports and exercise in the fresh air as well as other necessary activities.
5. Groups of people celebrating in public places, in apartments and private facilities are unacceptable given the serious situation in Germany. Violations of the contact restrictions are to be monitored by regulatory authorities and the police and sanctioned in the event of violations.
6. Restaurants are closed. This does not apply to the delivery and collection of take-away meals for consumption at home.
7. Service companies in the field of personal care such as hairdressers, cosmetic studios, massage practices, tattoo studios and similar companies are closed. Necessary medical treatments are still possible.
8. All companies, especially those with public traffic, must comply with hygiene regulations and to implement effective protective measures for employees and visitors.
9. The above measures are valid for at least two weeks.
For the complete text of the Chancellor’s press conference, please check their website: https://www.bundeskanzlerin.de/
The situation in Germany is fluid and the public is requested to closely follow the announcements of the Federal, State and City/Municipal governments in relation to containment measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Everyone is requested to follow these measures.
Berlin, 23 March 2020